Looking for an exciting way to get more greens into your diet? Well, this is it. This Spinach Torta is an easy and extremely tasty way to make sure you’re getting your daily dose. Not only does it taste fantastic, it also looks incredibly inviting, which hopefully means those fussy eaters won’t turn their noses up at the first sign of “green.” Each mouthful is both bursting with flavor and boasts plenty of nutrients as well.
1 (10-oz.) pie crust,
premade or frozen
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
4 tbsp. butter
9 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
½ cup red onion, peeled and diced
¼ cup chopped, dry (not oil-packed) sun-dried tomatoes
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. salt
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Thaw the pie crust according to the package directions. Prepare a 10-inch slightly greased springform pan.
3. Place the crust in the pan, pressing into the bottom and up the sides. Spread the mustard over the bottom of the crust and bake 9–11 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
5. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
6. Add the spinach, onion and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onion is crisp-tender. Remove from the heat, then add the Italian seasoning, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Mix well.
7. In a large bowl, combine the eggs and cheese. Mix well. Stir in the spinach mixture until well combined.
8. Spoon evenly into the partially baked crust, and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
9. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 29g
Total Fat 35g
Saturated Fat 14g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g
Trans Fat 2.2g
Dietary Fiber 4g
Vitamin A 114% Daily Value
Vitamin C 20% Daily Value
Calcium 38% Daily Value
Iron 19% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here