Makes 32–36 cookies
Featuring the bold flavors of cardamom, cloves, grapefruit, and red wine, this recipe will reset your cookie expectations. If the saying ‘a glass of wine a day keeps the doctor away’ is true, then these cookies may just do the trick thanks to the plentiful antioxidants in red wine!
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2½ tablespoons granulated sugar
⅓ cup + 3 tablespoons red wine
2½ tablespoons grapefruit juice
2½ tablespoons sesame seeds, roasted
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ tablespoon grapefruit zest
½ tablespoon baking powder
3–4 cups pastry flour
⅓ teaspoon baking soda
2½ cups brown sugar or
2½ cups of sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 325°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the olive oil and granulated sugar in a medium bowl, then add the red wine, grapefruit juice, and sesame seeds, mixing well.
3. Add the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, grapefruit zest, and baking powder, whisking until well blended.
4. Whisk together the flour and baking soda in a medium bowl then add half to the wet Ingredients and mix well.
5. Add the remaining flour mixture gradually, mixing as you go, until a dough forms (you may not need it all).
6. Knead the dough until smooth, but not sticky, and divide it into 4 equal portions (1 per cookie sheet). Set aside two portions.
7. Place one portion of the dough at a time onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of ½-inch. Using a cutter with any shape of your choice and dipped in flour, cut out the cookies, and arrange them on the two prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle them with brown sugar or sesame seeds and bake for 25–30 minutes, until the edges have set.
8. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Once the 2 prepared cookie sheets are cleared, keep the parchment paper on and repeat steps 7–8 for the remaining two dough portions.
10. Serve and enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Calories 112 (5%)
Total Fat 5.98 g (12%)
Saturated Fat 0.834 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.809 g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.123 g
Trans Fat 0.003 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 26 mg (2%)
Total Carbohydrate: 12.99 g (5%)
Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g (2%)
Total Sugars: 1.79 g
Protein: 1.65 g (3%)
Vitamin A 6 mcg (0%)
Vitamin C 0.5 mcg (1%)
Vitamin D 0 mcg
Potassium 25 mg (1%)
Calcium 19 mg (2%)
Iron 0.79 mg (4%)
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Desserts Cookbook here