Have you got a crowd to feed? If so, then we have the perfect recipe for you! Make the succulent lamb ahead of time as it takes a bit to prepare and then cook. Although it takes a while getting the lamb ready for serving, it is well worth the wait. At the time of serving, the pita breads will come together in no time at all. This lunch is also a fun dish for kids (or anyone, for that matter) to make their own, stuffing their pita breads with the lamb and filling ingredients as they like.
FOR THE LAMB:
3½ lb. lamb shoulder, on the bone
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE FILLING:
6 oz. pitted black olives, drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large zucchini, grated
1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup arugula leaves
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
6 white pita breads
1. Prepare the lamb the day before.
2. Combine the lemon juice, garlic, crushed red pepper, coriander, ginger and black pepper. Rub this marinade all over the lamb, place in a roasting pan, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
3. The next day, preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the lamb from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature.
4. Roast the lamb in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes for rare, or up to 30 minutes longer if you prefer it well-done.
5. When the lamb is cooked, remove it from the oven, cover with foil and let it rest for about 30 minutes in the pan.
6. Meanwhile, combine all the filling ingredients in a serving bowl and gently toss together.
7. Using a very sharp knife, cut the lamb down either side of the bone, and trim and discard all the fat and any sinew. Dice the lamb into 1-inch cubes.
8. Spoon some of the lamb and vegetable filling into each pita bread, season with a little more salt and pepper if you wish, and serve.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 29g
Total Fat 30g
Saturated Fat 12g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Trans Fat 0.5g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Vitamin A 25% Daily Value
Vitamin C 63% Daily Value
Calcium 9% Daily Value
Iron 25% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here