Avocado toast has been a winning combination for years! Uplifted by fresh pesto, peppery parsley, and savory eggs, this recipe is part of our weekly repertoire in my home. If you’re new to poaching eggs, the secret is to keep the water swirling the entire time.
2 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
¼ cup pesto
1 avocado, sliced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 ¼ teaspoons salt, divided
2 medium eggs
½ medium red pepper, finely diced
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
10 parsley leaves, finely chopped
1. Arrange the toast slices on a platter and spread a generous amount of pesto over each slice.
2. Place the avocado slices on top of the pesto.
3. Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Reduce the heat to low and keep the water at a gentle boil. Add the white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt and stir the water in a circular motion to create a vortex at the center of the pot. Carefully crack one egg into the center and keep stirring to maintain the water’s vortex while the egg cooks. Adjust the heat, if needed, to maintain the gentle boil. Cook for 3½ minutes, until the egg white is firm and the yolk is loose.
5. Carefully scoop the poached egg out of the water and place it on top of one slice of avocado toast.
6. Repeat steps 4–5 for the remaining egg.
7. Top the poached eggs with diced red pepper and sprinkle them with black pepper, the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, and parsley. Serve warm and enjoy!
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Total Fat 34.1 g 44%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g 32%
Polyunsaturated Fat 5.1 g —
Monounsaturated Fat19.5 g —
Trans Fat —
Cholesterol 128 mg 43%
Sodium 985 mg 43%
Total Carbohydrates 31.4 g 11%
Dietary Fiber 11.4 g 39%
Total Sugars 5.1 g —
Protein 16.2 g 32%
Vitamin A 979 mcg 110%
Vitamin C 75.6 mcg 80%
Vitamin D 0.9 mcg 4%
Potassium 875 mg 20%
Calcium 169 mg 15%
Iron 4.2 mg 25%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Meals Under 30 Minutes Cookbook here