If you want to make the best lamb stew, this recipe is all you need! Comforting, tender lamb is braised with lots of vegetables, chickpeas and warm Moroccan flavors. Serve with couscous!
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
6 Yukon Gold potatoes (or any small potatoes), peeled and ½-inch cubed
3 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1½ tsp. kosher salt
1½ tsp. black pepper
2.5 lb. boneless leg of lamb, fat trimmed, cut into cubes (or boneless lamb shoulder, fat trimmed)
½ cup dried apricots
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1½ tsp. ground allspice
1½ tsp. Moroccan spice, such as ras el hanout
½ tsp. ground ginger
6 canned, peeled plum tomatoes, halved
2½ cups low-sodium beef broth
1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering.
3. Add the onions, carrots and potatoes and sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
4. Add the lamb to the same pot, adding more oil if needed, and cook until deeply brown on all sides, about 8–12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Adjust the heat to medium-high and return the sautéed vegetables to the pot. Add the dried apricots, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, allspice, moroccan spice and ginger and stir to coat.
6. Add the plum tomatoes and broth and bring everything to a boil for 5 minutes.
7. Cover the pot and place in the oven for 1½ hours (check partway through to see if more water or broth is needed). Stir in the chickpeas, cover and return to the oven for another 30 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and serve hot with your choice of rice, couscous, pita bread or your favorite rustic bread.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 56g
Total Fat 8g
Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 2g
Sodium 167 mg
Dietary Fiber 3g
Vitamin A 4% Daily Value
Vitamin C 18% Daily Value
Calcium 31% Daily Value
Iron 29% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here