Makes 4–6 servings
Each time I thought of making a lighter and healthier version of my classic childhood favorite, Tuna Noodle Casserole, my mind naturally turned to France. This recipe is the result of my search for a healthy but delicious casserole, complete with red potatoes, artichokes, capers and olives. Ideal for large families and potluck gatherings, this Mediterranean Tuna Fry will satisfy everyone’s appetites without guilt!
2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for greasing the pan
3 tsp. kosher salt, divided, plus more to season
10 oz. wide, dry egg noodles or penne pasta
1 lb. small red potatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
5 tbsp. unsalted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 (6-oz.) cans tuna packed in olive oil, drained
1 (8-oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
¾ cup capers, rinsed and drained
½ cup sliced black olives
4 medium scallions, thinly sliced
⅓ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with oil and set aside.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon of the salt. Add the noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the noodles and transfer to a large bowl. Immediately mix with 1 tablespoon of olive oil so the noodles don’t stick together; set aside.
3. Fill the same pot with water and bring to a boil for a second time. Add the potato slices and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot.
4. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When it melts and foams, add the flour, and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add milk. Cook, stirring constantly, for another 5 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
5. Add the noodles to the potatoes in the pot and pour the sauce over them. Mix in the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, the tuna, artichoke hearts, capers, olives, scallions, parsley and ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Season with more salt if desired.
6. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Bake for at least 25 minutes or until bubbly and beginning to brown on top.
7. Serve immediately while hot!
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Total Fat 40g (51%)
Saturated Fat 24.99g (125%)
Trans Fat 0.634g
Total Carbohydrate 74g (27%)
Dietary Fiber 9g (32%)
Total Sugars 8g
Includes 0g Added Sugars (0%)
Cholesterol 145mg (48%)
Sodium 3230mg (140%)
Protein 58g (116%)
Vitamin D 13mcg (60%)
Calcium 327mg (25%)
Iron 6mg (35%)
Potassium 1365mg (30%)