This recipe merges Mediterranean and Mexican cuisines with seasoned ground beef enhanced with Mediterranean favorite like olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted bell peppers, then topped with all the classic fixings. As with most of these recipes, you can work with what you’ve got on hand— pantry loaded with canned beans? Toss them in! Feel free to experiment with the ingredients; with a recipe this delicious, you just can’t lose.
1 pound 90 percent lean ground beef
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup sliced and pitted green olives
¼ cup chopped drained sun-dried tomatoes
¼ cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup water
12 (6-inch) whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
1 cup shredded 4-cheese or Mexican blend cheese
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 small red onion, diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Place the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Cook for 6–8 minutes, breaking the beef into smaller pieces with a spoon, until there is no pink left.
3. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano, garlic powder, and pepper, stirring to combine.
4. Add the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted red bell peppers, stirring to combine, and cook for 2 minutes, until the bell peppers soften.
5. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the tomato sauce and water. Cook for 7–8 minutes, until some of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
6. Arrange the tortillas on a serving platter and add 2 tablespoons of the ground beef mixture to each.
7. Top with the cheese, lettuce, red onion, and cilantro before serving. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Total Fat 7.55 g 16%
Saturated Fat 3.122 g 17%
Polyunsaturated Fat0.838 g —
Monounsaturated Fat2.947 g —
Trans Fat 0.083 g —
Cholesterol 32 mg —
Sodium 561 mg 37%
Total Carbohydrates 26.81 g 11%
Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%
Total Sugars 2.94 g —
Protein 14.61 g 27%
Vitamin A 568 mcg 24%
Vitamin C 7 mcg 8%
Vitamin D 3 mcg 1%
Potassium 320 mg 7%
Calcium 136 mg 14%
Iron 3.04 mg 17%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Meals Under 30 Minutes Cookbook here