Makes 4 servings
Roasting shrimp in the oven while the bulgur cooks, makes for a quick preparation and retains all the flavor of the shrimp (unlike boiling, where some of the taste is lost to the water). I always keep a bag of shrimp in my freezer to have on hand for this recipe—just thaw before roasting. Although I like this salad warm, the cold leftovers make an excellent lunch for work the next day.
3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1¾ tsp. salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup dried green, brown or French lentils
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ cup bulgur
2 lb. large raw shrimp, peeled and minced
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar, plus more as needed
⅓ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and a teaspoon of salt, season with pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the lentils and stir. Add the broth and water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20–30 minutes.
3. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. When the lentils are ready, remove them from the heat and add the tomatoes and bulgur. Cover and set aside until the bulgur softens, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, roast the shrimp.
5. Place the shrimp on a baking sheet, cover with the remaining tablespoon of oil, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and bake until opaque and cooked throughout, 6–8 minutes.
6. Drain any excess liquid from the bulgur and lentils. Add the vinegar and parsley; taste, and add ¾ teaspoon salt, pepper and more vinegar as needed. Transfer to serving bowls and top with the shrimp and tomatoes.
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Total Fat 24g (31%)
Saturated Fat 4.091g (20%)
Trans Fat 0.046g
Total Carbohydrate 39g (14%)
Dietary Fiber 11g (39%)
Total Sugars 4g
Includes 0g Added Sugars (0%)
Cholesterol 310mg (103%)
Sodium 2770mg (120%)
Protein 55g (110%)
Vitamin D 0.8mcg (4%)
Calcium 173mg (15%)
Iron 5.26mg (30%)
Potassium 945mg (20%)