Focaccia is an oven-baked Italian flatbread, similar in texture to pizza crust! This version highlights fresh herbs and tart sun-dried tomatoes, and uses a hint of maple syrup for sweetness. Rich in healthy fats and vitamins, this Herbed Focaccia makes an addictively good appetizer.
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup warm water
2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
¼ teaspoon maple syrup
2½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup drained and chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1. Combine the olive oil, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and pepper in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir for 5 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Combine the warm water, yeast, and maple syrup in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Add 1 cup of flour and ¼ cup of the olive oil–herb mixture to the bowl with the yeast and maple syrup, stirring until the flour is thoroughly moistened. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes more. Reserve the remaining oil-herb mixture.
4. Stir in the salt and the remaining 1½ cups flour, mixing well. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead it 10 to 15 times, until smooth.
5. Put the focaccia dough into a large, oiled bowl and cover with a warm, damp towel. Allow the dough to rise for 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Coat a medium baking sheet with 2 tbsp. of the reserved oil-herb mixture.
7. Press the focaccia dough into the baking pan, then scatter the sun-dried tomatoes on top, pressing them into the dough.
8. Drizzle with the remaining herb oil and let the dough rise for 20 minutes, until it puffs slightly.
9. Bake for 15–20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan before slicing.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Calories 160 —
Total Fat 8 g 10%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g 6%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.9 g —
Monounsaturated Fat 5.6 g —
Trans Fat —
Sodium 90 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g 7%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 4%
Total Sugars 1 g 1%
Protein 3 g 6%
Vitamin A 0 mcg —
Vitamin C 12 mg 2%
Vitamin D — —
Potassium 101 mg 2%
Calcium 10 mg —
Iron 1.3 mg 8%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Intermittent Fasting and the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook here