Also known as avgolemono, this authentic Greek recipe features silky chicken, bright lemon, and savory eggs. Chicken soup is a comforting dish that always reminds me of my childhood and is perfect for chilly autumn days. Loaded with vitamin C, protein, and iron, this soup will satisfy everyone at the dining table.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon salt
1½ teaspoons black pepper
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup uncooked rice
4 large eggs
¼ cup lemon juice
1 lemon, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped dill
1. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
2. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the salt and pepper, then place them in the pan. Cook for 8–12 minutes, turning over halfway, until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165°F.
3. Remove the pan from heat and allow the chicken to cool for 5–10 minutes. Once cooled, shred the chicken with a fork, then set aside on a plate.
4. Combine the chicken broth and water in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cover and bring to a boil.
5. Stir in the rice, decrease the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15–20 minutes.
6. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl, then gradually whisk in the lemon juice until incorporated.
7. Ladle about ⅓ cup of chicken broth out of the pot and gradually whisk it into the eggs. Then slowly whisk the egg-broth mixture back into the pot with the chicken broth and rice. Add the shredded chicken.
8. Cook the soup for 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5–10 minutes.
9. Divide the soup among six serving bowls and garnish with the lemon slices and dill. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Calories 450 —
Total Fat 13 g 17%
Saturated Fat 3 g 12%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g —
Monounsaturated Fat 6.2 g —
Trans Fat 0 g —
Cholesterol 255 mg 85%
Sodium 810 mg 35%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g 11%
Dietary Fiber 2 g 7%
Total Sugars 1 g —
Protein 53 g 106%
Vitamin A 782 mcg 15%
Vitamin C 0.8 mcg 2%
Vitamin D 0.4 mcg 1%
Potassium 1006 mg 20%
Calcium 65 mg 4%
Iron 2.9 mg 15%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Intermittent Fasting and the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook here