When serving this Cottage Cheese Blueberry Casserole for breakfast, you may think that you’re having dessert instead. Don’t be fooled. While it is absolutely delicious, this meal is also loaded with protein and low in sugar, which makes the recipe a great option to start the day. Next time you want to go to a little extra effort and create something special for your morning meal, give this dish a go. Though leftovers are unlikely, they can be served for a snack or even an after-dinner treat. Enjoy!
4 eggs, separated
⅔ cup monk fruit sweetener (or natural sugar of choice)
⅔ cup flour, sifted
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
½ tsp. salt
2 cups cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
1½ cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F and lightly grease an 8-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until light. Blend in the sweetener, spelt flour, lemon juice, lemon peel, vanilla, almond extract, and salt.
3. Place the cottage cheese into a large bowl, then add a small amount of the egg yolk mixture and beat on high speed until the curds are broken and the mixture is nearly smooth.
4. Add the remaining egg yolk mixture and the sour cream. Beat until blended.
5. In a separate bowl, beat thde egg whites until stiff but not dry, then fold into the cheese mixture.
6. Pour into the greased casserole dish. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the blueberries on top in an even layer. Continue to bake for another 20 minutes. Refrigerate at least 5 hours before serving.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 41g
Total Fat 10g
Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0.6g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Vitamin A 11% Daily Value
Vitamin C 9% Daily Value
Calcium 11% Daily Value
Iron 8% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Meal Plan Cookbook here