Makes 4 servings
To make this easy, fun salad, just mix up the way you prep the vegetables! Rather than chopping the usual chunks or spears, this veggie-rich version of chicken salad calls for cutting the zucchini into thin ribbons. The wavy ribbons give the salad an elegant feel, and are easy to create with a mandoline slicer or any regular peeler.
For the Pesto:
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. toasted nuts, like pine nuts, walnuts or cashews
½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ cup olive oil
For the Salad:
½ cup medium red onion, thinly sliced
1½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
Kosher salt, for water and to season
Freshly ground black pepper, to season
1 tbsp. olive oil
1¼ cups chopped green beans
4 small–medium zucchinis (about 1½ pounds total), trimmed
½ pt. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
½ avocado, cut into ¼-inch cubes (optional)
1. In a food processor or blender, combine the basil, cheese, nuts and salt. Process to finely chop for about 1 minute, then scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the processor running, slowly add the oil and mix until the pesto is smooth. Set aside.
2. Place the onion in a large bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the pesto and stir to combine. Set aside.
3. Pat dry the chicken with paper towels and season well with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on the first side, 6–9 minutes, then flip and cook 6–9 minutes more, until browned on the second side and the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Place on a clean cutting board and cover with foil. 4. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for about 2 minutes, until crisp and tender. Drain and set aside.
5. Using a vegetable peeler, Y-peeler or mandoline slicer, peel the zucchinis lengthwise into approximately 1/16-inch ribbons. Transfer to the bowl with the onions. Add one-third of the remaining pesto and stir to coat.
6. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Add the chicken to the bowl with the zucchini, along with the remaining pesto, the green beans, tomatoes and avocados, if using. Stir gently until evenly coated. Serve warm and enjoy!
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Total Fat 29g (37%)
Saturated Fat 4.637g (23%)
Trans Fat 0.053g
Total Carbohydrate 8g (3%)
Dietary Fiber 4g (14%)
Total Sugars 2g
Includes 0g Added Sugars (0%)
Cholesterol 125mg (42%)
Sodium 1020mg (44%)
Protein 43g (86%)
Vitamin D 0.2mcg (0%)
Calcium 78mg (6%)
Iron 1.87mg (10%)
Potassium 931mg (20%)