Makes 4 servings
You truly can’t afford to miss out on this delicious Mediterranean salad, complete with broccoli, kale, golden croutons, white beans, and a wonderful vegan dressing that’s the true showstopper here. This is the best Caesar Salad you will ever taste—make it for a simple summer lunch, or serve with grilled chicken or salmon for a light and healthy dinner.
For the Croutons:
4 oz. stale bread (about ½ medium baguette)
6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt, to taste
1 tbsp. garlic powder (optional)
For the Salad:
1 large head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into florets
4 small cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 medium bunch kale (about 12 ounces), washed and ¼ inch sliced
1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup roasted sunflower seeds
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
For the Dressing:
1 cup cashews, salted
¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp. capers Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400°F.
2. To make the croutons, cut the bread into ½-inch cubes and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1½ tablespoons of the oil, season with salt and toss to coat, sprinkle with parsley, then spread into an even layer. Bake, stirring occasionally, until all sides are evenly browned. Transfer to a paper towel–lined bowl, sprinkle with garlic powder and set aside to cool.
3. For the salad, place the broccoli florets and unpeeled garlic cloves on the same baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1½ tablespoons of the remaining oil and spread into an even layer. Roast until the broccoli is golden, about 7–8 minutes, then season with salt and set aside.
4. To prepare the dressing, squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins and place in a blender. Add the cashews to the blender. Add the broth or water, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the lemon juice and capers. Blend until smooth, then add the salt and pepper as desired.
5. Combine the kale, the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Toss to coat well and let stand for at least 5 minutes. Add the roasted broccoli, beans, croutons and dressing; then mix well to combine.
6. Garnish with the sunflower seeds and parsley, and serve.
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Total Fat 48g (62%)
Saturated Fat 7.036g (35%)
Trans Fat 0.017g
Total Carbohydrate 73g (27%)
Dietary Fiber 19g (68%)
Total Sugars 9g
Includes 0g Added Sugars (0%)
Cholesterol < 5mg (1%)
Sodium 1930mg (84%)
Protein 30g (60%)
Vitamin D 0mcg (0%)
Calcium 329mg (25%)
Iron 9.33mg (50%)
Potassium 1635mg (35%)