Serves: 24 portions
Are you ready to learn how to make Authentic Falafel from scratch? This is a family recipe for the best authentic falafel, made from chickpeas, fresh herbs and all the right spices. There are so many ways to enjoy this falafel: in a sandwich with tahini sauce or hummus, on a platter with Mediterranean tomato and cucumber salad, or alongside other dishes as a side. Experiment to find your favorite!
2 cups dried chickpeas (do not use canned or cooked chickpeas)
½ tsp. baking soda
1 cup fresh parsley
⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves
½ cup fresh dill fronds
1 small onion, quartered
7–8 cloves garlic, peeled
salt, to taste
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
canola oil for frying
Tahini Paste (page 204)
TO SERVE AS SANDWICHES (OPTIONAL):
12 pita pockets
chopped or diced
INSTRUCTIONS A DAY AHEAD:
1. Combine the dried chickpeas and baking soda in a large bowl and fill with water to cover the chickpeas by at least 2 inches.
2. Soak for at least 18 hours, or longer if the chickpeas are still very hard.
WHEN READY TO MAKE THE FALAFEL:
3. Drain the chickpeas completely and pat them dry. Transfer to the large bowl of a food processor fitted with the chopping blade.
4. Add the herbs, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper, if using, to the chickpeas. Run the food processor 40 seconds at a time until the falafel mixture is well combined.
5. Transfer the falafel mixture to a container and cover tightly. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or a maximum of 24 hours. WHEN READY TO COOK:
6. Add the baking powder and sesame seeds to the falafel mixture and stir with a spoon.
7. Scoop tablespoonfuls of the falafel mixture and form into ½-inch-thick patties. It helps to have wet hands as you form the patties.
8. Fill up a medium saucepan 3 inches with oil. Heat the oil over medium-high until it bubbles softly. Working in batches if necessary, you should carefully drop the falafel patties in the oil and let them fry for 3 to 5 minutes, until crispy and medium brown on the outside. Do not crowd the falafel in the saucepan.
9. Place the fried falafel patties in a colander or on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining patties.
10. Serve the falafel hot next to other small plates with the sauce drizzles over. Or serve the patties in the falafel pita pockets with tahini or hummus, cucumbers, tomatoes, arugula and pickles if desired. Enjoy!
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 1g
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat 0.4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 1g
Dietary Fiber 4g
Vitamin A 6% Daily Value
Vitamin C 14% Daily Value
Calcium 21% Daily Value
Iron 17% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here