There are times when a salad just won’t do for lunch. Those times call for this Tuscan Sausage & Bean Soup. Soup is a great option that can be made ahead of time and transported easily if you’re eating lunch away from home. This comforting, hearty and nourishing meal is bursting with flavor, mainly thanks to the addition of Italian sausage and fresh basil. Perfect for when the weather is cool, this soup will warm your heart—an excellent comfort food, indeed.
3 mild Italian sausages, sliced ½ inch thick
14 oz. canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 large zucchini, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
3 cups beef stock
8 oz. tomato puree
3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced sausages and cook until browned on all sides, about 8-12 minutes, then drain off any excess fat.
2. Add the beans, celery, zucchini, carrot and onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
3. Add the beef stock, tomato puree and basil and mix thoroughly.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes, or until the soup has thickened and the vegetables are tender.
5. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 39g
Total Fat 22g
Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Trans Fat 1.3g
Dietary Fiber 8g
Vitamin A 108% Daily Value
Vitamin C 49% Daily Value
Calcium 22% Daily Value
Iron 26% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here