Eggplant is an extremely versatile vegetable and is the hero of so many Mediterranean dishes, just like this one. While there are many stuffed-eggplant recipes (and why not—who doesn’t like a stuffed eggplant?), we love what we have created with this one. Using tuna and anchovies boosts this dish’s nutritional profile and its flavor, which is then balanced out beautifully with the feta cheese, capers and olives. If you are after a vegetarian option, replace the anchovies and tuna with cooked chickpeas or cannellini beans that have been roughly chopped.
2 large eggplants
1–2 tsp. coarsely ground sea salt
¼ cup olive oil
2 tomatoes, diced
1½ cups fresh bread crumbs
7 oz. canned tuna in water, drained
6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
½ cup finely minced black olives
2 tbsp. minced capers
1 tbsp. finely chopped basil
1 tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a ½" shell. Finely dice the pulp, sprinkle well with salt and place in a colander set in the sink.
3. Sprinkle the insides of the eggplant shells with salt and place them cut side down on a paper towel. Allow the eggplant pulp and shells to drain for 30 minutes.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the well-drained eggplant pulp and cook until lightly browned. Add the tomatoes and stir until the liquid is evaporated, about 12 minutes.
5. Add the bread crumbs, tuna, anchovies, olives, capers, basil and parsley. Cook the mixture for 2 more minutes.
6. Place the eggplant shells in a foil-lined baking dish. Divide the eggplant-tomato mixture among the shells and sprinkle over the grated mozzarella cheese and crumbled feta cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Serve hot and crispy!
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 47g
Total Fat 33g
Saturated Fat 11g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Trans Fat 2.0g
Dietary Fiber 13g
Vitamin A 23% Daily Value
Vitamin C 27% Daily Value
Calcium 34% Daily Value
Iron 26% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here