This is the perfect opportunity to get your Greek on! Briam is a simple and absolutely delicious roasted vegetable dish, prepared in the Greek style. Stir the potatoes, zucchini and red onion in a mixture of extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, parsley and spices, then roast with the chopped tomatoes. You’ll end up with a healthy, vegan Mediterranean dish that can be served as a main entrée or alongside other dishes.
1¼ lb. gold potatoes (about 3 medium-size potatoes), peeled and thinly sliced into rounds about ⅛-inch thick
1¼ lb. zucchini squash (2 to 3 zucchini), thinly sliced into rounds about ¼ inch thick
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dried oregano
scant 1 tsp. dried rosemary
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice (preferably no-salt added organic tomatoes)
1 large red onion or 2 smaller red onions, thinly sliced into rounds (if large, you’ll want to cut the onion in half first, then slice)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange a rack in the middle.
2. Place the sliced potatoes and zucchini in a large mixing bowl. Season with the salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary. Add the fresh parsley, garlic and a generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Toss and mix to make sure the vegetables are well coated with the oil and spices.
3. On a baking pan or in a very large, oven-safe skillet, spread half of the canned diced tomatoes to cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Arrange the seasoned potatoes and zucchini and the sliced onions in the pan, working in rows and alternating the veggies in a pattern.
5. If you have any oil-garlic mixture left in the mixing bowl, pour that all over the veggies, then top with the remaining diced tomatoes.
6. Cover the pan with foil, making sure it’s not touching the veggies. Bake for 45 minutes. Take the pan out briefly to carefully remove the foil, then place back in the oven, uncovered, and roast for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the veggies are soft and charred and most of the liquid has evaporated.
7. Remove from the oven. Add a generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and serve warm or at room temperature.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 10g
Total Fat 6g
Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Vitamin A 6% Daily Value
Vitamin C 8% Daily Value
Calcium 47% Daily Value
Iron 16% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here