Pack this appetizing vegetarian sandwich for your next summertime picnic! The vibrant colors of the spinach greens, egg yolks, and tomato slices will brighten up just about any day. Thanks to the savory combination of feta and eggs, you’ll reap the benefits of both fueling protein and healthy fats.
4 whole wheat sandwich thins
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon chopped dried rosemary
4 medium eggs
2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
¼ cup rennet-free, low-fat feta cheese
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut the sandwich thins in half and brush the cut insides of the bread with 2 tsp. of the olive oil.
3. Place the sandwich thins on the prepared baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 15 minutes, or until crisp. Allow to cool on the baking sheet.
4. Combine the remaining 2 tsp. of olive oil and the rosemary in a skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Crack the eggs into the skillet one at a time and cook for 1 minute, until the whites are set.
6. Break the egg yolks using a spatula, then turn the eggs over and cook for 1–2 minutes more.
7. Place the bottom half of each toasted sandwich thin onto an individual serving plate.
8. Divide the spinach equally among the sandwich thin bottoms and top each one with 2 slices of tomato, 1 egg, and a tbsp. of feta cheese.
9. Season with the salt and pepper. Top with the remaining slices of bread and serve!
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Calories 260 —
Total Fat 13 g 17%
Saturated Fat 3.5 g 18%
Polyunsaturated Fat 4.2 g —
Monounsaturated Fat 1.2 g —
Trans Fat 0 g —
Cholesterol 170 mg 57%
Sodium 700 mg 30%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g 9%
Dietary Fiber 4 g 14%
Total Sugars 3 g —
Protein 11 g 22%
Vitamin A 0.3 mcg —
Vitamin C 4 mg —
Vitamin D 1 mcg 4%
Potassium 376 mg 8%
Calcium 99 mg 8%
Iron 2.8 mg 15%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Intermittent Fasting and the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook here