Shish Tawook is a classic Middle Eastern recipe featuring grilled chicken marinated in garlic and spices. Traditionally, it’s served with garlic aioli, but in this version, we’re making our own garlic paste, which is smeared onto warmed pita bread for serving. While this recipe only takes twenty active minutes, your guests will think you spent all day in the kitchen!
For the garlic paste:
4 garlic cloves
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons freshly
squeezed lemon juice
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the chicken:
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons salt
1¼ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, sliced into strips
4 (10-inch) pita breads, warmed
1. To make the garlic paste, combine the garlic cloves, egg whites, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. With the food processor running, gradually add half of the vegetable oil.
3. Pause to scrape the sides of the bowl, then add the remaining half of the vegetable oil and process until the garlic paste is well combined, light, and airy. Refrigerate in an airtight container until serving.
4. To make the chicken, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, tomato paste, coriander, garlic, and salt in a large bowl. Transfer the marinade to a large resealable plastic bag.
5. Place the chicken into the marinade, seal the bag, and massage the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate the chicken in the marinade for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
6. Remove the chicken from the fridge 1 hour before grilling.
7. When ready to cook the chicken, oil your grill’s grate and preheat it to medium heat.
8. Thread the chicken onto skewers, folding the pieces back and forth in an accordion-style, so they pile onto themselves.
9. Grill the chicken skewers for 10–12 minutes, occasionally turning, until they are browned on all sides and starting to char.
10. Spread an even layer of garlic paste on each pita. Divide the chicken skewers and pita bread among serving plates to serve.
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Calories 560 —
Total Fat 38 g 49%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g 28%
Polyunsaturated Fat 6.3 g —
Monounsaturated Fat 9.4 g —
Trans Fat 0 g —
Cholesterol 105 mg 35%
Sodium 700 mg 30%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g 7%
Dietary Fiber 3 g 11%
Total Sugars 2 g —
Protein 37 g 74%
Vitamin A 78 mcg 2%
Vitamin C 1.4 mcg 2%
Vitamin D 0.2 mcg —
Potassium 677 mg 15%
Calcium 31 mg 2%
Iron 2.1 mg 10%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Intermittent Fasting and the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook here