Makes 6 servings
Served with a lovely spiced saffron-infused syrup, this Vanilla Bavarois is simply divine. With protein-rich yogurt as its secret ingredient, this healthy treat will keep you fueled and satisfied for hours. Not only does it make the perfect dessert, it also works as a nutritious breakfast or snack.
For the bavarois:
4 sheets gelatin
1 cup cold water
1 vanilla bean
1¼ cups heavy cream, divided
⅔ cup granulated sugar
2½ cups plain Greek yogurt
½ cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
For the spiced saffron-infused syrup:
⅓ cup maple syrup
1 2-inch cinnamon stick
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon saffron threads
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
To make the bavarois:
1. Combine the gelatin sheets and cold water in a small bowl and set aside for 3–5 minutes, until the gelatin softens.
2. Slice the vanilla bean in half and remove the seeds, add both to a saucepan along with ¾ cup of the heavy cream and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat.
3. Drain excess water before adding the gelatin to the pot of hot cream and stir until dissolved.
4. Place yogurt in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
5. Add the vanilla cream mixture and continue whisking until smooth and well combined. Remove the vanilla bean seeds and continue whisking until mixture cools and thickens.
6. Add the remaining ½ cup of heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer outfitted with the whisk attachment and whip until soft peaks form.
7. Fold the whipped heavy cream into cooled cream mixture and then ladle equal portions into 6 (6-oz.) molds and refrigerate overnight.
To make the spiced saffron-infused syrup:
1. Combine the maple syrup, cinnamon stick, water, saffron, and ground cinnamon in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2. Dip the bavarois molds in hot water and invert on individual serving dishes to unstick.
3. Drizzle each with the saffron-infused syrup and a sprinkle of chopped pistachios before serving. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Calories 314 (14%)
Total Fat 17.29 g (36%)
Saturated Fat 8.482 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.861 g
Monounsaturated Fat 6.035 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 70 mg (5%)
Total Carbohydrate: 31.89 g (13%)
Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g (6%)
Total Sugars: 27.66 g
Protein: 10.24 g (19%)
Vitamin A 518 mcg (22%)
Vitamin C 1.6 mcg (2%)
Vitamin D 9 mcg (2%)
Potassium 332 mg (7%)
Calcium 182 mg (18%)
Iron 0.67 mg (4%)
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Desserts Cookbook here