This tasty roast chicken is seasoned with a simple blend of spices along with fresh garlic and olive oil, and finished with parsley and fresh basil. You’ll love this healthy and juicy Italian chicken recipe.
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (from about 2 sprigs thyme)
1 tsp. sweet paprika
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan
½ lemon, juiced
1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
5 to 6 Campari tomatoes (or small Roma tomatoes), halved
handful fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
fresh basil leaves, for garnish
fresh rosemary leaves, chopped for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Pat the chicken dry. Place the chicken breasts in a large zip-top bag, remove any air from the bag and seal the top, and set the bag on a cutting board. Pound the chicken with a meat mallet to flatten to about ¼ inch thick. Remove the chicken from the zip-top bag and set aside. Reuse the bag and mallet to repeat the process with the remaining chicken breast pieces.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and place in a large bowl or dish. Add the spices, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Combine to make sure the chicken is evenly coated.
4. Grease a baking dish or pan with olive oil, then spread the onion slices on the bottom. Arrange the seasoned chicken over the onions, and top with the tomatoes.
5. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 10 minutes, then uncover and bake another 8–10 minutes. Watch carefully because the cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. To be sure the chicken is cooked through, use a digital instant-read or meat thermometer to check for the proper internal temperature of 165°F.
6. Remove the chicken from the oven, cover with foil or another pan and let rest 5–10 minutes. Uncover and garnish with fresh parsley, basil and rosemary. Serve and enjoy!
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 11g
Total Fat 11.5g
Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 2.5g
Cholesterol 51 mg
Dietary Fiber 2g
Vitamin A 7% Daily Value
Vitamin C 15% Daily Value
Calcium 18% Daily Value
Iron 21% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here