Who knew gluten-free mac & cheese could be so splendid? Thanks to the fiber-rich chickpea pasta in this dish, celiacs can rejoice! Here we elevate the family classic with sweet roasted red peppers, sharp red onion, and fragrant garlic to add vitamin C, vitamin B9 , and antioxidants, respectively, to your diet.
8 ounces chickpea pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup diced red onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon gluten free flour
½ cup skim milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon sumac
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Cook the chickpea pasta in a pot of salted, boiling water for 2 minutes less than recommended by the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until the onions start to soften.
3. Stir in the gluten free flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until fully incorporated.
4. Stir in the skim milk and cook, whisking constantly, for 5–8 minutes, until it is smooth and thickened.
5. Add ½ cup of the cheddar and stir until it melts, then stir in the remaining ½ cup of cheddar.
6. Add the Greek yogurt, Italian seasoning, sumac, pepper, and salt, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, until smooth.
7. Add the roasted red peppers and chickpea pasta and cook for 2 minutes, until heated through.
8. Top with the feta cheese, then serve and enjoy!
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Total Fat 8.14 g 12%
Saturated Fat 3.745 g 15%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.461 g —
Monounsaturated Fat3.0201 g —
Trans Fat 0.123 g —
Cholesterol 19 mg 7%
Sodium 224 mg 15%
Total Carbohydrates 15.02 g 6%
Dietary Fiber 2.98 g 11%
Total Sugars 3.55 g
Protein 10.29 g 21%
Vitamin A 589 mcg 25%
Vitamin C 22.3 mcg 30%
Vitamin D 9 mcg 2%
Potassium 90 mg 2%
Calcium 140 mg 18%
Iron 2.26 mg 16%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Meals Under 30 Minutes Cookbook here