Makes 4–6 servings
This pasta recipe takes ingredients you already have available at home and transforms them into something exciting. With fresh spinach, bright lemon flavors and plenty of fragrant basil from the garden or farmers market, it makes a light and relaxing dinner.
1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for pasta water
1 lb. dry pasta of your choice
Fresh garden vegetables of your choice
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup spinach
¼ cup bacon bits
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
⅓ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the pasta and cook for one minute less than the instructed time for al dente. Meanwhile, cook the vegetables of your choosing.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Add spinach and bacon, then season with salt and pepper. Cook until completely softened, 4–5 minutes.
3. Add butter, garlic and lemon zest. Cook until the butter is melted and fragrant, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.
4. When the pasta is ready, reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Return the skillet with the vegetables to medium heat. Add the pasta and reserved cooking water and toss continuously until the sauce thickens and covers the pasta, 1–2 minutes. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed. Remove from the heat and add the basil.
5. Serve garnished with Parmesan, if desired.
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Total Fat 12g (15%)
Saturated Fat 4.069g (20%)
Trans Fat 0.19g
Total Carbohydrate 78g (28%)
Dietary Fiber 12g (43%)
Total Sugars 2g
Includes 0g Added Sugars (0%)
Cholesterol 20mg (7%)
Sodium 660mg (29%)
Protein 11g (22%)
Vitamin D 0.4mcg (2%)
Calcium 33mg (2%)
Iron 1.72mg (10%)
Potassium 548mg (10%)
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Meals on a Budget Cookbook here >>