This is a fantastic recipe to prepare ahead of time and makes the ideal family breakfast. Warming, nourishing and full of Mediterranean-inspired flavors, it’s perfect for breakfasts when the mornings begin to get a little cooler. You can make it the night before to have it ready for the next morning, or prepare it ahead of time and pop it in the freezer for the days or weeks to come. Just make sure it is well defrosted before baking. Leftovers can also become a fantastic lunch or even dinner option, making this dish an all-around great family favorite.
12 slices sourdough bread, cubed
1 lb. ground pork
⅓ cup chopped onion
⅓ cup chopped green pepper
1 (4-oz.) jar pimientos, drained and chopped
6 large eggs
3 cups milk
½ cup cubed feta cheese
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. fresh oregano
1 tsp. ground mustard
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or casserole dish and spread in the bread cubes; set aside.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, combine the ground pork, onion and green pepper. Cook until the pork is browned, then drain off any excess fat.
3. Stir in the pimientos, then sprinkle the pork and vegetable mixture over the bread.
4. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, feta cheese, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper and carefully pour over the pork mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. The next day, remove the strata from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
6. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
7. Bake, covered, for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
8. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
9. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 42g
Total Fat 17g
Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0.9g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Vitamin A 11% Daily Value
Vitamin C 33% Daily Value
Calcium 16% Daily Value
Iron 16% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here