This hearty and flavorful Neapolitan Polenta Pie is a great way to serve polenta a little differently. It will quite possibly become your favorite way. There is a little time involved in making the “cheese” for this recipe; however, if time does not allow, you may be able to find some delicious, creamy, ready-made labneh from most good delis. Once you have the “cheese” ready to go, this meal comes together very easily. This is definitely comfort food at its finest, hearty and loaded with the traditional flavors we all love. We guarantee this meatless Mediterranean dish will become a firm family favorite.
12 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp. sea salt, divided
3 cups water
1 cup polenta
1½ cups pizza sauce
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 tomato, sliced
1 cup sliced green bell pepper
¼ lb. wild mushrooms, washed and sliced
2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms, soaked and drained.
3 tbsp. capers
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
1. The day before serving, prepare the yogurt “cheese.” Mix the yogurt with ½ teaspoon of the salt in a small bowl. Line a strainer with several layers of cheesecloth, then transfer the yogurt to the strainer.
2. Squeeze the cloth very gently around the yogurt and place the strainer over a bowl. Refrigerate and let drain for at least 10 hours.
3. When ready to continue with the recipe, carefully remove the cheesecloth from the ball of cheese. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
4. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan and stir the polenta into the boiling water.
5. Add remaining ½ teaspoon salt, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until thick and soft.
6. Pour the polenta into a 9-inch nonstick pie plate or casserole dish and spread evenly over the bottom and up the sides.
7. Spread the pizza sauce over the polenta.
8. Arrange the onion, tomato, bell pepper, and mushrooms over the sauce, then top with the yogurt cheese, capers and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until the pie is bubbling hot throughout.
9. Remove from the oven and top with the basil before slicing and serving.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 35g
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 1g
Dietary Fiber 9g
Vitamin A 52% Daily Value
Vitamin C 192% Daily Value
Calcium 18% Daily Value
Iron 31% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here