This simple tagine recipe is full of warm Moroccan flavors and is one of my favorite single-pot dishes. It is an all-star, all-vegetable tagine, packed with the perfect balance of Moroccan flavors, and it’s vegan and gluten-free!
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
8–10 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. harissa spice blend
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground turmeric
2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped
heaping ½ cup chopped dried apricots
1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth (or broth of your choice)
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 lemon, juiced
handful of fresh parsley leaves
1. In a medium pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat until it is just shimmering. Add the onions and increase the heat to mediumhigh. Sauté for 5 minutes, tossing regularly.
2. Add the carrots, russet potatoes, sweet potato, and garlic. Season with the salt and spices and toss to combine evenly. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, mixing regularly with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the tomatoes, apricots and broth. Season again with just a small dash more salt.
4. Cook for 10 minutes, keeping the heat on medium-high. Then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
5. Stir in the chickpeas and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and fresh parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt or harissa spice blend according to your preference.
6. Transfer the tagine to serving bowls and top each serving with a generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Serve hot with your favorite bread, couscous or rice. Enjoy!
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING:
Total Carbohydrates 60g
Total Fat 18g
Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Trans Fat 4g
Dietary Fiber 8g
Vitamin A 4% Daily Value
Vitamin C 8% Daily Value
Calcium 28% Daily Value
Iron 10% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here