This recipe came to me while I was wandering around a pumpkin patch with my kids. I saw generously sized butternut squash and knew I needed to grab a few! When we got home, I felt inspired by Moroccan flavors and whipped this up. If you’re in the mood for something new and exciting, give this dish a try.
3 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
1 carrot, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
1½ cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons Moroccan seasoning
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup couscous
1½ cups hot water
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 red onion, thinly sliced
½ bunch fresh mint, destemmed
½ bunch fresh cilantro, destemmed
2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the squash, carrot, zucchini, chickpeas, Moroccan seasoning, and 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a large bowl. Toss together until the vegetables are evenly coated.
3. Arrange the seasoned vegetables in an even layer on the prepared pan and bake for 20–25 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5–10 minutes.
4. Place the couscous in a large, heat-safe bowl and add the hot water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the couscous sit for 5 minutes.
5. Unwrap the bowl and fluff the couscous grains with a fork to separate them.
6. Whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, and the remaining 2 tbsp. oil in a separate bowl. Add the lemon mixture to the couscous and toss to combine.
7. Add the roasted vegetables, cherry tomatoes, onion, mint, and cilantro to the couscous mixture and toss to combine.
8. Divide the couscous among six serving bowls and top with the almonds.
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Calories 250 —
Total Fat 10 g 13%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g 6%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.7 g —
Monounsaturated Fat 5.8 g —
Trans Fat 0 g —
Sodium 390 mg 17%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g 13%
Dietary Fiber 7 g 25%
Total Sugars 10 g —
Protein 7.55 g 24%
Vitamin A 4815 mcg 200%
Vitamin C 35 mcg 20%
Vitamin D —
Potassium 569 mg 10%
Calcium 98 mg 8%
Iron 3.7 mg 20%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Intermittent Fasting and the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook here