Meat loaf must be one of the best comfort foods around! We have created a Mediterranean-inspired dish stuffed full of prosciutto and creamy mozzarella. This meat loaf requires a tiny bit more effort than a regular one—however, that little extra effort will be so worth it! As soon as you take a bite and get some of that creamy melted mozzarella, paired perfectly with the prosciutto and the flavors of Mediterranean vegetables and herbs, we guarantee you won’t be trying another meat loaf recipe anytime soon.
FOR THE MEAT LOAF:
1¼ lb. ground beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup bread crumbs, plus more as needed
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (10.75-oz.) can tomato soup
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. prepared mustard, preferably Dijon
½ tsp. dried oregano
⅛ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. black pepper
FOR THE STUFFING:
6–8 slices prosciutto
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a 9 by 5-inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the meat loaf ingredients and mix with your hands until well combined. Add more bread crumbs if necessary, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is firm enough to shape into a loaf.
3. Lightly spray a large piece of aluminium foil or nonstick baking paper. Turn the meat mixture out onto the foil and form it into a 12 by 8-inch rectangle.
4. Arrange the prosciutto on top of the meat, leaving a small margin around the edges. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the prosciutto slices.
5. Starting from the short end, carefully roll the meat mixture jelly-roll style. Seal the edges and ends by pressing and pinch the meat loaf together at the ends and along the seam. Place the loaf seam side up in the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
7. Serve with your choice of steamed vegetables or side salad.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 28g
Total Fat 22g
Saturated Fat 9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Trans Fat 1g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Vitamin A 20% Daily Value
Vitamin C 62% Daily Value
Calcium 20% Daily Value
Iron 25% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here