Makes 6 servings
Yet another take on classic chicken noodle soup, but this time we’re adding bacon! Chicken and bacon complement each other exceptionally well, especially when paired with the long list of vegetables in this soup. There’s a reason it’s called hearty chicken soup: it’s packed full of veggies, herbs, meats, and pasta! This zesty, healthy meal is a must-try for those winter days when the temperature drops, and everyone’s craving a warm dish.
3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped (optional)
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
4 carrots, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
Kosher salt, to season
Black pepper, to season
3–4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 large head green cabbage, chopped
1 Parmesan cheese rind, plus grated Parmesan cheese for serving
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 oz. short pasta, such as ditalini or orzo
12 oz. cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1. Set a multicooker to the sauté mode. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, at least 5 minutes.
2. Add the olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic and a pinch each of salt and pepper and stir 8–10 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked through. Turn off the multicooker.
3. Add 3 cups of the broth, the tomatoes, cabbage, Parmesan rind, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Season with salt, pepper and the crushed red pepper. Cover and cook at high pressure for about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions to just al dente. Drain immediately.
5. Remove the Parmesan rind, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary from the soup and discard. Add the beans and the pasta. If desired, add the additional broth as needed to reach the desired consistency.
6. Divide the soup among bowls and sprinkle with additional Parmesan before serving.
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Total Fat 19g (24%)
Saturated Fat 3.217g (16%)
Trans Fat 0.092g
Total Carbohydrate 34g (12%)
Dietary Fiber 10g (36%)
Total Sugars 13g
Includes 0g Added Sugars (0%)
Cholesterol 10mg (3%)
Sodium 1000mg (43%)
Protein 13g (26%)
Vitamin D 0.2mcg (0%)
Calcium 251mg (20%)
Iron 3.36mg (20%)
Potassium 1016mg (20%)