When wild salmon comes into season, be sure to put this recipe on the menu. Salmon is somewhat of a firm-fleshed fish, which means cooking a fillet under the broiler won’t dry out the fish like it would other species. The rich, strong flavor of the salmon balances wonderfully with the freshness of the herbs in the couscous along with the sweetness from the bell peppers. For a grain- and gluten-free alternative, you can swap the couscous for cooked quinoa.
FOR THE GRILLED SALMON:
4 (6-oz.) salmon fillets (about 1½ lb.)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
FOR THE HERBED COUSCOUS:
1½ cups vegetable stock
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup couscous
½ cup yellow bell pepper, finely diced
½ cup tomatoes, finely diced
1. For the couscous, combine the stock, oil, thyme, parsley, pepper and bay leaf in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Add the couscous and mix well, then remove from the heat. Cover tightly and allow to stand for at least 5 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Mix in the bell pepper and tomatoes and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler to high.
4. Rub the surface of the fish with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
5. Broil 3–4 minutes per side or until the fish is cooked through and just flakes with a fork (do not overcook or the fish will become tough).
6. While the fish is cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and cook until just tender and slightly golden, 5–8 minutes.
7. To serve, place a rounded ½ cup of couscous on each of 4 plates. Divide the zucchini among each plate, set a piece of the finished grilled fish over top.
8. Serve with a slice or two of fresh lemon or lime, if desired.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 39g
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0.5g
Dietary Fiber 4g
Vitamin A 48% Daily Value
Vitamin C 27% Daily Value
Calcium 9% Daily Value
Iron 16% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here