Makes: 1 Pie (12 slices)
This is a family-proven spanakopita recipe! This delicious, salty Greek cake is made from perfectly crispy layers of phyllo dough and a nice filling of spinach and feta cheese.
FOR THE FILLING:
16 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 bunches flat-leaf parsley, stems trimmed, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves, minced
10.5 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. dried dill weed
freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE CRUST:
1 (16-oz.) package Phyllo pastry, thawed according to package directions
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Drain the spinach well and squeeze out any excess liquid with your hands, then transfer to a medium bowl.
3. Add all the remaining filling ingredients and stir until well combined.
4. Unroll the phyllo sheets and place them between two slightly damp kitchen cloths.
5. Brush the bottom and sides of a 9½-by-13-inch baking dish with the olive oil.
6. Line the baking dish with two sheets of phyllo, allowing them to cover the sides of the dish. Brush with more olive oil. Add two more sheets of phyllo, and brush them with olive oil. Repeat until two-thirds of the phyllo have been used up.
7. Next, evenly distribute the spinach and feta filling over the phyllo. Top with two more sheets, and brush with olive oil.
8. Continuously layer the phyllo sheets two at a time, brushing with olive oil, until you’ve used up all the sheets. Brush the very top layer with olive oil, and sprinkle with just a few drops of water.
9. Fold the flaps (if necessary) and remove excess from the sides—you can crumble them a little. Brush the folded sides well with olive oil.
10. Bake for 1 hour, or until the phyllo crust is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven. Let stand for 5 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 38g
Total Fat 20g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Vitamin A 8% Daily Value
Vitamin C 5% Daily Value
Calcium 36% Daily Value
Iron 3% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here