Makes 16 biscotti
Biscotti was invented in the Tuscan region of Prato, Italy. Commonly called Cantucci, these twice-baked flavorful cookies are studded with cranberries, almonds, and lemon zest, while retaining the traditional and satisfying biscotti crunch.
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup cold unsalted butter
2 large eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup almonds, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the sugar and unsalted butter into the bowl of a stand mixer outfitted with the paddle attachment and beat together, until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla extract, mixing just until incorporated.
4. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and add to the butter mixture, mixing on low speed, until combined.
5. Add the cranberries and almonds and mix on low, just until incorporated.
6. Remove dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half.
7. Form each half into a ball and the roll each into an 8-inch log.
8. Place biscotti logs side-by-side on prepared cookie sheet and flatten them slightly.
9. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until slightly golden.
10. Allow the biscotti to cool completely for 30 minutes and then cut each log diagonally into 8 slices.
11. Return the cookies to the parchment-lined cookie sheet and arrange cut side up, ½-inch apart to bake for an additional 12–16 minutes, until they dry out.
12. Transfer biscotti to a wire rack to cool completely before serving. Biscotti freeze well and keep their just-baked crunch if stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
NUTRITION • PER ONE SERVING
Calories 133 (6%)
Total Fat 2.36 g (5%)
Saturated Fat 0.408 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.569 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.192 g
Trans Fat 0.003 g
Cholesterol 23 mg
Sodium 83 mg (6%)
Total Carbohydrate: 25.32 g (10%)
Dietary Fiber: 1 g (4%)
Total Sugars: 12.06 g
Protein: 3.02 g (6%)
Vitamin A 38 mcg (2%)
Vitamin C 0.5 mcg (1%)
Vitamin D 5 mcg (1%)
Potassium 81 mg (2%)
Calcium 28 mg (3%)
Iron 1 mg (6%)
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Desserts Cookbook here