You don’t need a special rotisserie to make this simple homemade shawarma chicken recipe! Chicken pieces are tossed in spices of the Middle East, then baked until perfectly tender. Serve in pita pockets with Mediterranean salad and sauces.
For the chicken:
⅓ tbsp. ground cumin
⅓ tbsp. ground turmeric
⅓ tbsp. ground coriander
⅓ tbsp. garlic powder
⅓ tbsp. paprika
½ tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. cayenne pepper, or more to taste
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp. salt
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large lemon, juiced
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 pita pockets
Tahini Sauce (page 202) or Smooth Tzatziki (page 200)
pickles or kalamata olives (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, paprika, cloves and cayenne pepper. Set aside the shawarma spice mix.
2. Pat the chicken thighs dry and season them with salt on both sides, then thinly slice into small bite-sized pieces.
3. Transfer the sliced chicken to a large bowl. Add the shawarma spices and toss to coat. Add the onions, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss everything together again.
4. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. If you lack time, you can skip this step or reduce the time by half.
5. Once everything is ready, preheat your oven to 425°F. Remove the chicken from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes.
6. Spread the marinated chicken with the onions in a single layer on a large, lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes.
7. To get a more browned, crispier chicken, move the pan to the top rack and broil very briefly, 2–3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven.
8. To serve, open the pita pockets up. Add a little tzatziki sauce and/or tahini sauce to each pocket, then add the chicken shawarma, arugula, and pickles or olives. Serve immediately!
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 22g
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Vitamin A 1% Daily Value
Vitamin C 3% Daily Value
Calcium 22% Daily Value
Iron 8% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here