If there’s one thing that makes a salad even more interesting than just delicious flavors, it’s a mix of textures—and thankfully, this recipe incorporates both! Juicy chicken, velvety olive oil, crunchy red onion, and creamy feta blend together in this dish to create an exciting yet simple salad. Brimming with fiber and protein, this meal is an incredibly satisfying way to end your eating window!
2 teaspoons ground sumac
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
1 lemon, sliced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
1 (8-inch) whole wheat pita, sliced
1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 cups chopped parsley
1 red onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Combine the sumac, cumin, oregano, 1 tbsp. of the olive oil, 1 tbsp. of the lemon juice, and the lemon slices in a medium bowl.
2. Add the chicken and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. When ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 360°F.
4. Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a large oven-safe pan over medium-high heat.
5. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until both sides are lightly golden.
6. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
7. When the chicken is cooked through, remove the pan from the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil, and allow the chicken to rest for 2 minutes.
8. Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in another pan over medium-high heat.
9. Add the pita slices and cook for 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove the pita bread from the pan and set aside.
10. Add the chickpeas to the same pan and stir for 2 minutes, until heated through. Set aside.
11. Slice the chicken and place it in a large bowl with the chickpeas, pita, parsley, onion, and feta. Toss to combine.
12. Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. lemon juice over the top.
13. Divide the salad among four serving bowls and enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Calories 540 —
Total Fat 25 g 32%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g 30%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g —
Monounsaturated Fat 9.8 g —
Trans Fat 0 g —
Cholesterol 120 mg 40%
Sodium 35 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g 13%
Dietary Fiber 8 g 29%
Total Sugars 7 g —
Protein 46 g 92%
Vitamin A 623 mcg 15%
Vitamin C 41 mcg 45%
Vitamin D 0.2 mcg —
Potassium 1076 mg 25%
Calcium 213 mg 15%
Iron 4.6 mg 25%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Intermittent Fasting and the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook here