This is a pretty straightforward recipe with basic ingredients. It’s destined to become your favorite summertime dinner. The chicken is prepared with olive oil, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, just substitute equal parts garlic powder, dried basil and dried oregano instead.
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp. sweet paprika
8 thick slices ripe tomato
8 (1-oz.) slices fresh mozzarella cheese
8 medium basil leaves
4 tbsp. balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Heat large cast iron pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
3. While your oil is heating up, butterfly the chicken: cut each chicken breast from the side about three-quarters of the way through, then open the chicken and lay flat.
4. Season each chicken breast with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder, Italian seasoning and sweet paprika.
5. Place 2 slices of tomato, 2 slices of mozzarella cheese and 2 basil leaves on one side of each chicken breast. Close the chicken breasts and use toothpicks to help keep them closed around the filling.
6. Transfer the stuffed chicken breasts to the pan and sear for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
7. Transfer to the oven until the internal tempurature reaches 165°F.
8. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and let rest 3–5 minutes.
9. Slice into ¼-inch slices and drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top of the chicken. Serve over your favorite salad: we suggest the Rustic Avocado and Corn Salad on page 150.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING
Total Carbohydrates 4g
Total Fat 12g
Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated fat 3g
Monounsaturated fat 5g
Trans fat 0g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Vitamin A 35 % Daily Value
Vitamin C 15 % Daily Value
Calcium 15 % Daily Value
Iron 10% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here