I’m willing to bet this is a flavor combination you’ve never tried before; earthy beets, sharp grapefruit, and savory halloumi. While it may seem like a surprising blend, each ingredient balances the others perfectly. Topped with tangy balsamic vinegar and fresh basil, this is one of those salads you’ve just got to try!
1 teaspoon salt
1 pink grapefruit, peeled and sliced into rounds
2 cups arugula
½ cup fresh basil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
5 ounces rennet-free halloumi cheese, sliced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Place the beet in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Add the salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook for 15–20 minutes, until the beet is fork-tender. Drain the water and allow the beet to cool.
3. Once it is cool enough to handle, peel the beet and cut it into ½-inch cubes.
4. Combine the beet with the grapefruit, arugula, basil, and balsamic vinegar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
5. Set a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
6. Brush the halloumi slices with the olive oil, then place in the frying pan. Cook each side for 1 minute, until golden brown.
7. To serve, transfer the beet-grapefruit mixture to a plate and top with the fried halloumi.
NUTRITION • per one serving •
Calories 430 —
Total Fat 14 g 18%
Saturated Fat 2 g 10%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.3 g —
Monounsaturated Fat 8.1 g —
Trans Fat 0 g —
Sodium 160 mg 7%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g 12%
Dietary Fiber 6 g 21%
Total Sugars 27 g —
Protein 4 g 8%
Vitamin A 0.4 mcg —
Vitamin C 12 mcg 30%
Vitamin D —
Potassium 823 mg 20%
Calcium 134 mg 10%
Iron 204 mg 10%
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Intermittent Fasting and the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook here