Makes: 80 cookies
These cookies are airy and crunchy—as well as super quick to bake, so much fun to make and highly addictive to eat! Discover how to prepare them to perfection with this traditional Greek recipe.
1 cup butter, chopped, at room temperature
1½ cups sugar
½ cup milk
1½ tbsp. powdered baking ammonia (or baking powder)
4 medium eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
zest of 2 oranges
2¼ lb. all-purpose flour
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp. water
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar in a stand mixer and mix 10–15 minutes, until the butter is creamy and fluffy.
2. In the meantime, warm the milk in a small saucepan until just lukewarm, then remove the pan from the heat. Add the ammonia and blend until dissolved. Set aside.
3. Add the eggs to the butter-sugar mixture one at a time while mixing, allowing time for each one to be incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla extract, orange zest and the milk-ammonia mixture and mix to combine. Add the flour a little bit at a time and mix until the ingredients are combined and the dough is soft and not too sticky.
4. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
6. Turn the dough out onto a clean working surface. Take a small piece of dough and form a log. Twist each end of the koulourakia in opposite directions. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place the koulourakia on the sheet leaving them 1 inch apart as they will rise a lot when baked. Repeat with the remaining dough, working in batches depending on how many baking sheets you have.
7. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks and water and whisk with a fork. Brush the tops of the koulourakia and bake for 15 minutes, until nice and golden!
8. Let the koulourakia cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container for up to three weeks.
NUTRITION DATA FOR 1 SERVING (2 COOKIES)
Total Carbohydrates 14g
Total Fat 3g
Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0.1g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Vitamin A 7% Daily Value
Vitamin C 12% Daily Value
Calcium 27% Daily Value
Iron 13% Daily Value
This AMAZING Recipe can be found in my Mediterranean Refresh Cookbook here